Keyboard frame

Provided by the ASK Keyboard Dictionary

Category: ComponentsOrigin: Official

Aka/also known as: frame assembly, frame, barrel plate, barrelplate

A keyboard frame is a plate that typically sits at the top of a keyboard assembly and is used for holding and supporting key-switch components in their specific places. For IBM buckling spring and buckling sleeve keyboards, the frame is the official term for their barrel plates that have circular structures for holding their key-switch components in place. The barrel plate can be metal and have discrete (separate) barrels as seen on all Model F keyboards, or can be plastic and have their barrels integrated as seen on most Model M keyboards.


ASK. Admiral Shark's Keyboards original content. License/note: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

  1. tamsin - donated photos.