Buckling spring

Provided by the ASK Keyboard Dictionary

Category: SwitchesOrigin: OfficialSee more info

Buckling springs (B/S) are keyboard key-switches that characteristically buckle into a kink instead of compressing in a straight column. The term most often describes IBM's famous buckling springs switches designed by Richard Hunter Harris. Buckling springs allow a key-switch to provide actuation, tactility, auditory feedback and a keycap return force all with just one spring.


ASK. Admiral Shark's Keyboards original content. License/note: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.